Monday, July 17, 2006

I Walk Around in the Summertime Sayin', "How About This Heat?"

Hey Pals.

I hope all is well wherever you may find yourselves these days.

Around here, it's been pretty darn hot. On days like these, I am reminded of the poor baker who died a few years ago due to exposure to excessive heat...It was front page news that day...I have the article in one of my notebooks, but I'm not in a digging mood at the moment. Let it suffice to say that the luckless baker's sister didn't blame her brother's employers because, "They didn't order this heat" ... I shit you not.

Anyway, we got the current issue of Entertainment Weekly today (Lasagna has a subscription) and it has the creepiest picture of Al Gore on the cover...



I wanted to read about the "50 GREATEST POP CULTURE SIDEKICKS" since Howard Stern mentioned that Robin was #13...(They're back after a 2-week vacation...I missed them, but the re-runs were still pretty entertaining. Much better than regular radio, that's for sure)...



(You can check out the whole list by clicking this, if you're so inclined).

Artie's heading out to California to film his guest appearance on HBO's "Entourage" on Wednesday and Thursday...(and they're taking Friday off)...So this week of Stern might be a bit of a letdown...Artie really cracks me up. He said he'd call in though...I hope he does. He was trying to lose a few pounds for the guest spot...They weighed him today and he's at 274lbs. (He weighed 277lbs. before they went on vacation...Oh well)...

Anyway, at the back of the current Entertainment Weekly, I found this little coincidental nugget!


My favourite "celebrity chef" (even though he dislikes them, he's technically one of them) discussing my favourite author! Pretty sweet, huh? (Plus, I coincidentally just mentioned "Haunted" in my last post)...

Anyway, I'm gonna do my best to catch up with everybody this week, but it's gonna be a bit hectic...

SCUBA training this weekend and next and I gotta finish reading the book and swimming with my new fins and boots (for cold weather diving)...Does anyone remember what "S.C.U.B.A." stands for because of that "Family Ties" episode where Alex was studying for a test and kept repeating it? Highlight the next line to see if you're right...

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

I'm sure we'll run into each other in Blogtown or in realityville...Until then, swim with a buddy and be sure to adjust your buoyancy accordingly!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

P.S.

I had added a pic of Al Gore with a monkey in the background, but it's gone now...click here to see it...(along with the article)...

15 Comments:

Blogger S* said...

OK, Al Gore just doesn't look right in either of those pics. Do ya think he's had work done? Gotten some non-biodegradable parts put in? The scandal!

And look at you, with your favorite chef! Kitchen Confidential changed the way I eat out in NYC forever.

Stay cool, my simian-loving friend!

10:48 AM  
Blogger keeks said...

Al Gore looks fuckin creepy! Did he become a Sceintologist or something?

Can I call you Scuba Steve?

11:35 AM  
Blogger BeatDogg said...

"Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number of the Beast, for it is a human number... its number is six hundred and sixty-six..." and its name is Al Gore. Creepiest fuckin' pic ever, dude. Makes Michael Jackson look like a cute little teddy bear in comparison. You should Photoshop some crazy goat horns onto that pic and put "The End is Nigh" underneath; I bet it would sell faster than condoms at a Paris Hilton birthday party.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Rockantzy said...

Yo Sambo,

"...A-S-S-H-"..oh well, Dennis Leary should have broken into that song in Ice Age 1 or 2 I think that is a very much needed hand me down for our future generations. Cold weather diving? Is this just something particular for canada or is this part of a plan to rescue any frozen simians from their icy strongholds deep within the earth?

As always, you rock the comments!

Later,

RockZ

8:39 PM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

I don't think Gore has EVER had a decent photo on a magazine cover! The guy just creeps me out to no end.

Don't you just love when strange coincidences happen? That's pretty cool that you had just blogged about the book and then found a review about it on the back of your magazine.

Good to hear your scuba lessons are coming along well. Are you able to take the equipment home and practice in your pool?

The heat is killing me here, too. Will it ever let up?
Take care Monkey Boy!
Huggerzzz....

10:02 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

To me, Al Gore looks like he is starting to fashion himself after Steven Seagal. That magazine cover is really creepy, though. I have to agree.

I wonder if Robin appreciates that she has a "horsey laugh". I am not a Stern fan, but I thought that was an interesting description in the blurb you posted.

I loved the comment you left on my page about sending my coworker a Hallmark card. I might have to do that one. haha!

10:30 AM  
Blogger junebee said...

Oh man, I LOVE Tony! I am reading "A Cook's Tour" which I got for 3.50 (hardbound) before I went to Canada. I have read "Kitchen Confidential" and I've read some of his fiction, which is so-so.

I think if Lou Reed were a chef, he'd be Tony.

"Nasty Bits" got a bad review. I may wait and see if our library has it.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Cheers Zambo, have a great weekend!
(you're right, that IS a creepy Gore picture)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Hey, Zambo, that's really a wax head of Al Gore, isn't it? It couldn't be real. Creepy...

Hope you're staying cool.

Josie

8:48 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Hey Zambo!

Seeing as how you enjoyed "Haunted"... Have you read "The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks? You might enjoy it. :) Oh, happy happy summertime reading!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

That pic is creepy, like a comic villian. Lots of people die here of the heat every summer. It is just crazy how everyplace is hot this year. The usual 102 here has crept up to 107 though. With the humidity, one day I felt like I couldn't even breath. So stay cool!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Al Gore is creepy!
I don't know how much I could handle 'Haunted', I can't take that kind of stuff well, but I know you're a manly man and enjoy it! LOL
Nice trick with the 'Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus', made me laugh!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

I had training as a Navy diver as an extension of Damage Control School. I only got to dive in training and never during my tour of of duty of 4 years.
...Sadly, I never pursued scuba diving after that. (Sigh) That was 39 years ago.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Al Gore looks very intimidating. I wouldn't say creepy since I've seen creepier in my life before (see current Axel Rose!)

I never had the guts to go Scuba diving in Cuba (even though I was there for two weeks almost two years ago.) You make me just want to go out and learn something new, honestly!

How all is well with you, Zambo!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Joel Conrad Bechtolt said...

Zambo,

I know you already hate me for meeting Bourdain last month, so what would you say if I told you Chuck Palahniuk has a house 3 blocks from Sara and I? What a cruel world it is for people who aren't me! HA! He doesn't always live there, he's got a place in the mountains and on the coast, but we totally get caught in the same line buying groceries often. One night we did shots at the bar across the street from my house. He was funny as shit and kept saying I was aliar and there was no way I'm straight! Chuck the big homo...

-Joel

PS: Did I ever tell you that I also have Gordon Ramsay tied up in my storage unit RIGHT NOW! HAAA!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home