Sunday, March 26, 2006

Professional Burnout and Other Stuff...

Hi gang.

I hope everybody had a great weekend. I'm getting ready for tonight's "Sopranos" episode. I hope something cool happens. We'll see...

So I was siting at my desk at work the other day and I was wondering if maybe I'm just plain burned out...So I looked it up online. I found a good link related to technical writers (and no...I'm not a technical writer) that started with:

Quick! Answer the following questions without putting a lot of thought into them. We want your instinctive, knee-jerk first response.

  • Do you enjoy going to work each day?
  • Are you excited about the projects you're working on?
  • Do you look for excuses to be late, leave early, or be off altogether?
  • Are you in a bad mood more often than not?
  • Do you feel like you have control over your job?
  • How long have you been feeling like this?

If you answered ……

  • "No"
  • "Not particularly"
  • "Yes"
  • "Yes"
  • "No"
  • "Can't even remember"
you may want to read the whole article called Dealing With Professional Burnout ...

I can totally relate to the constant interruptions and a continuous stream of last-minute projects given to you regardless of all the other projects and deadlines you're currently contending with (sometimes called “dump and run”) and how this can make an employee feel taken for granted.

So now that that's out of the way...



It would seem that Boston has a place known as "Monkey College" where little helper monkeys are trained to help folks with disabilities. My pal Beatdogg found this link and forwarded it to me. (Click the video if you have time. It's pretty cool). Has anyone seen George Romero's 1988 film "Monkey Shines"? It too was quite cool at the time...IMDb's plot summary as provided by David Carroll:

When Allan becomes a quadriplegic he loses all hope for living until he meets Ella - a monkey trained to fetch and carry for him around the house, obeying him in all things. But Ella is part of another experiment, and when she starts responding to Allan's underlying rage and frustration, she has the ability to carry ouy her master's darkest wishes.

(Pretty cool, huh?) I don't know if it has stood the test of time, but I remember really liking it when I first saw it, and on subsequent viewings...I looked for it today when I went to the mall, but couldn't find it...I may have to order it online...So, my video pick of the week is...


In other news, Peter Tamarkin, host of the game show "Press Your Luck" died along with his wife when their plane crashed a few weeks ago...I used to like that show. Remember the Whammies?

"No Whammies. No Whammies. Stop!"
"
Oh no! A Whammy!"


Also, here's a link to the new Simpsons intro...with real actors as the animated family, if you're interested. (I think traffic's pretty high at the moment, but it should die down later)...

If that didn't work, try this one for the Scientology "South Park" episode that the Cruiser got Comedy Central not to re-air...and it seems to have led to Isaac Hayes quitting...

It's fairly old news, but I'm a bit behind these days...

Anyway, gotta go. "Sopranos" time soon!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

P.S.

This just in...If you wanna see how Chef dies on the show, click here. All I can say is amazing! Truly amazing! Thanks again to my man, Beatdogg. Best death scene ever!

14 Comments:

Blogger StringMan said...

Thanks for the burnout indicators. There is a fine line between burnout and boredom, I think. I'm pretty sure my symptoms - which are spot on those you put in the list - are boredom. I don't have enough stress in the job for burnout.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Rockantzy said...

Like your blog! I seem to be a fan of Canadian Bloggers....eh good stuff is good stuff. Rock on Mr.Monkey man!

P.S- The Weiner in Tailpipe pic.....nightmares guaranteed...blehhh.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Zambo;

Everytime I come to your site, I'm reminded on how much I wish I had a monkey as a child.

Ok, I'm no longer a child and I still want one.

heh.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Hey, thanks Zambo for the link to the Scientology 'South Park' episode! Hilarious!

1:00 AM  
Blogger keeks said...

Hmmm...I learn so much from you Zambo, now I have a name for my condition...well, a new name I guess. I was just getting used to "IhatemyfuckingjobandtheassholesIhavetoworkwith" but "burnout" sounds so professional :)

The live action Simpsons was the opener tonight!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I remember the Whammies!! That is sad to read that him and his wife passed away in a plane crash. I am trying real real hard to get over my fear of flying for when I make my Vegas trip in September. All I can think about is yikes!!!

I went thru burnout when I ran the furniture store I worked at. I hated it!!

huggieezz to ya Zambo. :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger nicki said...

that simpsons thing was pretty cool :) monkeys are CUTE..and i think that is the most i've ever seen of south park in my life :S

hope you're having a great day Zambo!!

2:01 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

Oh, did you see the "Simpsons" where Homer got a helper monkey?! It was so funny, by the end of the show, the monkey was all lethargic and fat like Homer.

As much as I love my cats, I can't help but notice there's no helper cats or seeing eye cats or search and rescue cats. Could it be that cats don't give a damn about humanity?!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Ohh Devon was JUST showing me the death scene,lol,toooooo cool!
I hope your today is going great!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I got all those questions but one right! Oh, wait...that is a bad thing....

Oh, well.

Sorry to hear about the Whammy guy. I liked that show. :(

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

The death scene proves one thing...so DO not F with those South Park guys!! I think the scientology episode is freaking hilarious!

Sopranos was great, I loved how Tony's bloodpressure went through the roof when Paulie was talking to him!!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

I think I will look for that movie Zambo. It looks like something I would like.

I am sorry your feeling burned out and overloaded at work. Maybe with the warmer weather coming it will help cheer your spirits a little?

I had all but forgotten about the Whammy guy. I used to love that show. What a tragic way to die. Very sad. At least they went down together.

Chin up my monkey friend....
Huggerzzz....

5:31 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I wanna have a little helper monkey!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

Awwww...I came back to see how Chef dies and it has been taken off of youtube do to TOS violations :(

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home