Monday, February 20, 2006

Post For A Monday Night

Hello out there!

Hopefully all is going well in your neck of the woods.

I went to a wedding last summer and the newlyweds left during the reception. To consummate their vows, I suppose. (Even though they’d been living together for like five years)…They called it something…can’t recall what…I asked my cousin the cop…He was out having a smoke and I went with him when the newlyweds came out. We jokingly asked where the hell they were going... They said, "We’re ------ing. It’s a tradition." They hopped in a limo and were gone. I looked at my cousin and asked what they said that was called. He said, “That’s fuckin’ bullshit is what that is.” He looked all serious when he said it, and I burst out laughing. We both laughed for a while. He seemed offended by this alleged 'tradition' in some way…but I said, "At least we get to leave now. " I’m the optimistic type sometimes.

My cousin is a pretty cool guy. He always wanted to be a police officer growing up. Since I'm an only child, he was like my older brother. We were together almost every day when we were kids. Once, when a tooth was loose, he took me behind the garage and punched it out for me. We used to play with guns and ride our bikes off ramps. We had cool toys and broke most of them together. There was one toy called Pulsar. He was allegedly indestructible...We managed to destroy him eventually! (Thanks to our dads' tools).



These days, I'm the proud godfather of his cute little daughter. (My cousin's, not Pulsar's). I promised that even though I'm not a religious guy, I will do what's best for her, should the need arise....hopefully it won't.

It's weird the different paths we take as we travel along in our lives. My cuz, 'the fuzz,' recently told me a story about how he had to pull his gun on a guy. We went to school with this fellow growing up, but he took a wrong path somewhere along the line...Anyway, my cousin had his gun aimed at the guy's chest 'cause he was brandishing a baseball bat and kept edging closer. He conveyed to me that he would have dropped this guy without remorse if he didn't stop when told to...and I believe him. Luckily, the guy realized it too and put the bat down. My cousin gave him fair warning and had the trigger pulled to the point where the next click would be lights out for bat boy (to call him Batman, even in jest, is an insult to the dedication it took Bruce Wayne to become Batman)...

My cuz is a pretty tough guy, but I know the little boy that grew up with me is in there too...It's still kinda weird that he woulda killed that guy no problem. The other day at my job, I almost got a pretty bad paper cut clearing a jam in one of the copiers...and then I got out of my chair pretty quickly and got a bit of a head rush...

Anyway...it's time for a...

Pop Quiz, Hotshot!

I saw this quiz on Poody's blog and then on beadinggalinms' blog.

Apparently I'm like Wesley Crusher according to the quiz.

A brilliant learner with a knack for almost everything, you choose to spend your efforts in the pursuit of travels that extend your own potential.

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?

I'd better be on my way now, partners.

My main man, Beatdogg told me about this nonsense Henry Rollins had to deal with. Old Hank hates cops, but I think he'd like my cousin. (Cops made fun of Henry when his best friend was murdered, and joked that they were lovers)...If you're a Rollins fan or into freedom, then this might piss you off a bit...

Henry Rollins is Not an Islamist (click title for source article)

A paranoid passenger seated next to former Black Flag frontman Henry Rollins got nervous on a flight to Brisbane when he saw the rocker reading “Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia”, a book about Islamic fundamentalists. The passenger contacted the authorities after the plane landed and Henry is now being investigated by the Australian government.

“Days later I received an e-mail from a woman who I guess figured out who I was and found me,” Rollins told PAGE SIX after his spoken-word show at Town Hall the other night. “I had been named a ‘person of interest.’ Basically, they get calls like this every five minutes, and I’m probably on the ‘who cares’ list, in that they’ll probably let me into the country again. But the fact that this guy could be that ignorant and call me in on this for a book . . . I was angry. Because of the fact that the guy wouldn’t confront me. I like confrontation. If I’ve offended you, let me know. Don’t call it in and not leave your name. I just think it’s pretty weak.”


Henry Rollins has several books and CDs out there. Personally, I like his spoken word and his books more than his music. He was also in the films "Johnny Mnemonic" , "Heat" and "Lost Highway"...

Beatdogg and I saw him do a spoken word performance in Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) and he changed our lives...for a few minutes anyway...

So remember to eat your vitamins and you too can be big and strong like Henry.

Take care out there.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Zambo,

I used to have a "Pulsar" too. Not only was he practically indestructible, but he had a working (although vastly simplified) cardio-pulmonary system enclosed under a glass plate in his chest. That is so frickin' cool, I can't even describe it. I would definitely opt for a glass chest if I could. Especially if I could also be really muscular and have eerie, white "Glad Man" hair. It would be wicked to take off your shirt at parties. Anyway, he was a fantastic toy. And like you said, pretty hard to kill. I think I still have him; his clothes have since disintegrated, but if you squeeze his back, the blood still flows around and his lungs still inflate and deflate. If only all toys were that well made.

My cousin is a surgeon. He's the same age as me. My mom told me a story about when the 2 of us were about 4 years old. I used to watch a lot of "Sesame Street", and one day I was marching around the house saying the alphabet backwards and in Spanish. So my aunt, feeling a little bit insecure about her son's alphabetical accomplishments, said, "Robert, you know the alphabet! Say the alphabet!" to which my cousin mumbled, "One two pee por five." So anyway, now he makes $400,000 a year, and I teach English ... quite an accomplishment for someone who grew up speaking the language, I must say. Ha ha. Ugh.

Like you say, it's weird the different paths we take as we travel along in our lives. It's easy to say that I was smarter than my cousin when we were growing up, but the fact is that I was inside the house watching "Sesame Street" and he was probably tearing around outdoors somewhere, experiencing the real world.

About your cousin ... we like to believe that we could kill somebody who desperately deserves killin' ... but I know it would fuck me up for a long time just to see somebody else get killed ... when I was living in/around Tokyo, I used to have an irrational fear that I would see somebody jump in front of a train ... it happens every day, and I figured it would just be a matter of time before I happened to observe it for real .... so long story short, I know I could never be a cop.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Great post Zambo!! I agree with Sherry very funny how life takes on different paths. :)

10:37 AM  
Blogger nicki said...

good post zambo...good post...i've decided to not eat my vitamins tho..because i don't want to be big and strong like Henry..heeh

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Excellent post Zambo:)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

"Once, when a tooth was loose, he took me behind the garage and punched it out for me."
LOL!
None of my friends have ever done that for ME!

I LIKE Rollins. He surprised the hell out of me with his spoken word show. A very smart man.

And I'm running of to my blog with the sci-fi quiz, thanks Zambo!

2:58 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Great story about your cousin, Zambo. Wasn't he a nice guy to punch your tooth out behind the garage! I can see why you guys became BFF! :)

Western singers and Islam are a bad combo, at least for getting attention on airplanes. Didn't Cat Stevens (or whatever he's called now) get into a jam as well on a flight?

8:56 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Hey Zambo!

Great post -- y'know, I don't think I've ever seen Wesley Crusher and Henry Rollins in such close company! Blogging makes strange bedfellows... I'm on my way to take that quiz!

All is going well in Kimberland... I hope that everything in Zamboland is sunny, bright and well, too!

2:58 AM  
Blogger Dirk Richter said...

I can just picture it... "That's what friends are for" playing softly in the background, as a young Zambo carefully points his chin out, and Cousin of Zambo clocking back his right arm... ah, childhood memories...

It is odd the paths people take. One friend from grade-school was always a little on the nerdy side. Slight, very smart, a little goofy. After high-school we lost touch, but caught up again a few years ago. Since highschool, he became a fighter-pilot (Passing Top Gun School), an engineer, got a law degree, and became a medical doctor. All before the age of 30. Who would have thought?

Its an odd, but fascinating journey that people make, its just often with the passage of time and distance that we really take notice.

Until next time,
Dirk

7:51 AM  
Blogger BeatDogg said...

*SIGH* I too am Wesley Crusher. Why can't I be Darth Vader or Boba Fett? Or even Yoda? And why the hell aren't there any characters from "The Ice Pirates" on that damned list?

9:16 AM  
Blogger S* said...

Funny thing...my dad found this ring with the old crescent moon and star. And he liked it so he wears it. You should see the looks he gets in suburbia while at the grocery store. He's an old black man from the South who believes in Jesus. He just thinks the ring is nifty. I don't think they'd let him thru the airport so easily, even though I don't think the terrorists have resorted to recruited old black men from the South who live in suburbia.

Can't even read a book these days...but good old George Bush wants to turn over our ports to the U.A.E. Go figure.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

Only a real pal would punch your tooth out for ya..lol!

Another very entertaining post Zambo. Thanks!

Have a good one Monkey Boy!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Zambo said...

Hey Gang.

Once again, thanks for the great comments!

Gobbles:
Pulsar was such a cool toy! His face flipped up and there were discs that you could put in there (before CDs or DVDs were even commonplace!)…I still have one of his shoes somewhere…

In all seriousness, you’re one of the most well-rounded fellows it is my pleasure to know...So your cousin makes more money…Is he happier? Probably…I forgot my point…You’re out there experiencing the world right now though.

I remember one time when I was a kid, my dad pulled over to see what all the commotion was about near a local body of water…There were cops and ambulances and a crane and divers…Anyway, they pulled a guy out of the water with the crane…the hook was put in his rib cage to pull him up and his skin was all greenish…Pretty gross…I haven’t been the same since then really…

Sherry:
I’m glad you liked it.

Beading Gal:
Thanks. I’m glad you liked it too.

Nicki:
It’s OK. You look fine to me.

Ms. L.:
Thanks, Ms. L.

Tai:
I’m glad you liked that line. People show their love in different ways. Rollins is pretty cool. He was on Bubba The Love Sponge’s show this afternoon, but I missed it…Gotta see if it’s on again this weekend…Thanks to my Blogger pals for the quiz. I can’t take the credit…

Stringman:
Interestingly enough, another friend accidentally knocked a tooth out for me in grade school during recess. I miss the good old days. You’re right about Cat Stevens…He became Muslim and took the name Yusuf Islam…Rollins was just reading a book…I went to Europe several years ago and read “Manson in His Own Words” and “Zodiac”

Poody:
I hope the dingoes didn’t eat your friend! (An interesting bit of trivia is that the line, “Maybe the dingoes ate your baby” was never uttered in the film, “A Cry In The Dark”…”Seinfeld” is partly responsible for helping to spread this misinformation...
Pretentious Woman:”I have lost my fiancé…I have lost my baby…”
Elaine: (on pain killers): “Maybe the dingo ate your baby!”

Kimber:
You’re right! Blogging does make strange bedfellows! Well said.
One of my favourite lines from Star Trek: The Next Generation was directed at Wesley:
Lore: "The troublesome little man-child. Are you prepared for the kind of death you've earned, little man?"

Dirk:
”For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more...
That's what friends are for…”

Your friend sounds like one of those overachieving types…He makes the rest of us look bad…

Beatdogg:
Who would you be from “The Ice Pirates” I wonder? Zeno?

S*:
Sounds like you dad’s ring looks like the Turkish Flag…(I can’t think of anything good to say about Turks, so I’ll just leave it at that)…These are wild times, my friend…I’m not too sure how the ports deal’s gonna go down…We’ll see…

Keeks:
You were half right! Easter would qualify as Jesus’ “re-birth”…Oh well…I know a guy who used to act suspicious at airports to get body cavity searched…and swabbed…

Spidey:
Thanks for understanding the situation. He’s a real pal.
I hope you’re feeling better.

Captain!
“All the popes in hell couldn’t stop you!” Brilliant, my friend. Simply brilliant! I’m a lot older and a lot slower these days…But thanks for having faith in me though.

Take care out there, Blogger Buddies!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home