Monday, August 08, 2005

Public Service Announcement


Hi.

I hope that all is well.

Yesterday, on "The Ongoing History of New Music" on 102.1 FM, they were discussing our favourite "elder statesmen of punk", Green Day (You'd find it difficult to read anything about them these days without encountering this buzz phrase). Also, there was just a Green Day spotlight on Muchmusic. They showed a lot of the standard interview footage and ended with the video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"...It was pretty good...there's a brief intro with the young couple in love and then the song stops and the girl gets upset with the guy...You wonder what he did...Then, it turns out that he enlisted in the military and his platoon comes under fire as his young love longs for him back home...I think the song is actually about Billie Joe's dad...(Some people initially thought it was related to September 11th somehow...).





Anyway, I was listening to "nimrod" on my way home tonight. I fondly remember anticipating the release of each of Green Day's albums over the years...It's good to see that they're back...and better than ever. If you're a fan, you can see their progression with each album they release...I have seen them many times over the years. They're always amazing live! I saw them twice in the same day when they were out promoting "nimrod"...That was a great day for me. I was on TV (but the MuchMusic "lady" told me to be quiet and they aired the "me being quiet" footage...It was funnier when I was talkng, if you ask me...sadly, I didn't even get my 15 minutes...maybe I have a few minutes left)...Anyway, we got to see them perform in the alley behind HMV in Toronto...we got their autographs (but they were handed out to the crowd due to a "riot" at Tower Records the week before...So I managed to get a few of the autographed "nimrod" signs)...Then we went to see them at The Phoenix that night and I met Tré Cool (see photo below)

out front...just standing there! I walked up to him and said "Hey!" and I was wearing a "Poke Me and Die" T-shirt...So he poked me...My friends kept going, thinking this was some friend of mine...I hugged him... and when I looked around, my friends were gone!...I talked to him for a while and then a crowd began to swarm and he had to go...So... they were awesome at The Phoenix too...

When "American Idiot" came out, I listened to it pretty much non-stop from the day it was released until about January (all day at work and in my car on the way home)...As Tarantino said, it's unique in the sense that "...all the songs are good!" During the "Pop Disaster Tour", they opened for Blink-182...That made me kind of sad...but that was before they made their comback and were dubbed "the elder statesmen of punk"...(It will be interesting to see if those "missing master tapes" ever turn up...If they do, hopefully they'll arrive just in time for Christmas...) Anyway, that's all I'm gonna say about Green Day right now...The following is information about where and when you can see them next (mostly in the US or on US stations):

WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS- PREMIERES!

The long awaited video premiere for Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends" has finally arrived. Visit AOLMusic.com or use AOL keyword 'music' to view the full video now!You can also catch 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' tomorrow (8/9) on MTV2 all day long and on VH1 at 9:00 PM. Finally, tune in to MTV's TRL which will premiere the video on 8/10.

FORGET THE TV GUIDE: UPCOMING GREEN DAY TELEVISION

VH1 DRIVEN
Watch VH1 tomorrow (8/9) at 8:00 PM to catch Green Day on VH1's 'Driven'. Repeat airing, 8/16 at 1:00 PM.

LIVE AT IRVING PLAZA
Green Day Live at Irving Plaza will air on Fuse 8/14 at noon, 6:00 PM and 9:30 PM.

MAKING OF(S) '...WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS'
Green Day Makes a Video (for Wake Me Up When September Ends) will air on MTV2 8/9 at 7:00 AM and 4:30 PM, 8/10 at 10:30 AM and 8/15 at 7:30 AM.The Making of Wake Me Up When September Ends will air on Fuse 8/14 at 12:30 PM, 6:30 PM and 10:00 PM.

GREEN DAY GOES FOR THE GOAL
Green Day will be performing for the NFL kick off on 9/8/05 at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA.
Kick off will be televised on ABC. Check local listings for broadcast time in your area


Also, if you missed tonight's Spotlight, it's on again at 2 AM and 8:30 AM EST on MuchMusic...

That's my Green Day update...

I shall leave you with this excellent quote from Green Day's bassist, Mike Dirnt:

"We're probably the best Green Day-type band there is out there..."

Your Pal,

Zambo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zambo said...

I had planned on writing about other stuff, but Green Day seemed pretty topical...I got the e-mail about upcoming Green Day stuff and the Spotlight was on TV...

But I have to mention "Six Feet Under" too...Wow!...The last few episodes have been so very sad... I've considered watching "The Hours" to cheer myself up...

I don't want to give anything away, because if you don't watch it, I hope that you will one day...It's so good...I feel like I've lost a good friend these past few episodes...It's almost over...Something tells me there won't be a Christmas Special...

According to The Wall Street Journal, it's "...the best drama ever on television, a work of art"...(I'd have to say it's up there for consistency...).

Your Pal,

Zambo.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirnt is so prophetic he makes me want to shit out Noel Redding to tell him to thank his lucky fucking stars.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home