Saturday, December 31, 2005

WonderTwin Powers...Activate! Form of...Listenable Radio! Shape of...Happy Zambo!


Greetings Citizens!

I am in a pretty improved mood at the moment. Initially, I was going to post something along the lines of, “As another year comes to an end, it’s gut-check time...and mine's getting to be too big…” Blah, blah resolution…blah, blah exercise, etc…But screw all that nonsense!

It would seem that my American cousin (not a reference to the film…Sorry Ms. L) is a total champ and was OK with me using his credit card to “activate” my SIRIUS radio. So I’ve been sitting in my car for about the last 3 hours listening to “SUPERFAN ROUND TABLE” on Howard 100…I’m feeling a little bit cold, but overall I'm quite happy. I took my laptop to the car and went through the whole online activation process using my cuz’s information. I called Best Buy earlier today and it turns out that even though one requires a US address in order to purchase American SIRIUS products, the product is only registered when you activate it. So I used all my cousin’s info and it was a breeze! Also, perhaps because I was calmer today, I noticed that the lifetime subscription option (for the life of the radio…not the purchaser) is available...but it’s the sneaky second tab at the top. I didn’t notice the first time I attempted to “activate”…That time I was using a different person’s info and trying to activate it with my apparently useless Canadian credit card…I was also only wearing shorts and a T-shirt in my car…which was parked in my unheated garage…I felt like I was doing spy stuff or defusing a bomb or something…so I didn’t notice the second tab at the top…Then my credit card didn’t work and I suddenly got warmer…But now things are better. I may even retract my earlier comments regarding those who I believed were trying to prevent me from listening to my man Howard…Nah. They can still go piss up a rope. Maybe I’ll go easier on their mothers this time though. Nah. Fuck ‘em.

So I really enjoyed listening to the “SUPERFAN” discussion, which recapped some of the most memorable moments of 2005. It’s been a while since I’ve heard any Stern…about 2 weeks! There’s no “Best of” on the station that used to broadcast the program…just Glass Tiger and Bryan Adams, etc. I don’t think I’ll be tuning in to that any time soon. Anyway, it was nice to get a little fix. They can’t play any clips (due to “intellectual property” issues) but it was still pretty good. They also addressed the rumour that Howard and Beth got married. Excellent timing for such a stunt, either way…Anyway, the tag for the station is, “Howard 100. No more bull shit!” The best is yet to come, my friends.


I briefly explored some of the other SIRIUS stations…Channel 013 is “ELVIS RADIO”…all Elvis, all the time. Cool. Also, you can log on and listen to certain stations on your computer. (But there are certain stations that cannot be accessed this way). So as I type this, I am listening to Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57 "Appassionata"…it’s turned down low, while I’m also watching Matthew McConaughey on Conan…it’s a repeat. Greg Behrendt is also a guest. He’s pretty funny ~ a comedian turned author. I bought his books for women about relationships, thinking that some of his humour would come through. It didn’t. I think it was this interview that triggered the purchase. Frankly, It made me a little sad to think that there are women out there who would read these books to help them get over a breakup…I find this need for re-assurance troubling. Did I mention that the Oprah endorsed his books? She did. I believe Conan asked him what it’s like to be loved by “the all-powerful Oprah”…Anyhow, I was thinking about writing something that touches on relationships and thought I’d see how his books address the topics of breaking up and how some guys just aren’t going to be into you sometimes…(from a male perspective)...It’s weird that such books are best sellers…I guess I’ve fed the machine by purchasing them. It was a bit impulsive and they’re more of a one-time read for me…A funny line by Behrendt’s wife Amiira (co-author of the second book) was a quote from her granny, “Even with all the mayonnaise in the world, you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.” That’s all I got. He was so funny with Conan. Too bad the books weren’t as funny…More along the lines of Stuart Smalley personal affirmation: “You’re good enough. You’re smart enough. And Gosh darn-it, people like you”…

So we’re another year closer to the ultimate equalizer. Hopefully we’re all a little wiser. Enjoy whatever New Year's Eve stuff you’ve got planned…be safe while you’re out there having fun.

I'll leave you with a link to one of my all-time favourite sound files. It's an oldie, but a goodie! Enjoy! (I would have sounded something like this guy, had the SIRIUS not activated this time)...

Talk to you later.

Your Pal,

Zambo.


P.S.


Good to see you again, Ra! I like the new picture!

Captain Oreo: Welcome back. It's been too long!




3 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

LOL,my thoughts did go to that movie right away.
I'm so glad you're all hooked up!
Have fun and Happy New Year!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Zambo!

Thanks for stopping by in 2005 -- I look forward to more in 2006! (You know that just didn't come out the way I meant it - LOL)

The best to you and yours in 2006.

Oh and by the way, do you think your cousin would let me use his credit card too? (smile) It sounds like SIRUS is a blast. Of course, I agree with the last posting ... try to stay out of closed garages with the car running while your enjoying Howie. Thise sort of things are dangerous to your health -- LOL.

And you're WAY TOO valuable to me!

-R

2:01 PM  
Blogger S* said...

I AM SO JEALOUS.

*insert emoticon sticking out its tongue here*

I got the pleasure of listening to Howard's replacement...none other than Diamond David Lee Roth preaching about what's wrong with kids today and the lack of good parenting. It is a sad sad day for KROC or Free FM or whatever they changed their name to.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home