Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Mom's Food and the Dark Side...

Hello.

I was just reading S*'s recent entry and it occurred to me that I have been thinking about posting something similar regarding food...She summed it up nicely with the formula: Food=Love.
I had/have a similar Food=Love type thing going on with my folks as well. When I was younger, I didn't fully appreciate how good a cook my mom was...I took it for granted that everyone ate the same quality of food that I was getting...I even got tired of it...I remember coming home from a friend's house once and telling my mom that his mom made these cool triangular cheese sandwiches in this sandwich maker contraption and that she made something called "Kraft Dinner"* as a side dish...I said something like, "Why can't you make stuff like that, Mom?" I think I may have unintentionally offended her...but this quick and dirty food was new to me...from there it was an easy hop, skip and jump to McDonald's and other fast food establishments...For many years I was a culinary Darth Vader of sorts...I had slipped to the dark side...In my university years, I continued to follow the dark oily path...

Anyway, I have since come to appreciate my mom's cooking again, and have even learned to make some pretty tasty stuff myself...
My dad often jokes that he’s glad when we visit them, because he gets to eat “the good stuff”…So I jokingly threaten him, by saying that he better not cross me or I'll stop coming over and he'll have to do without the foods he loves. My mom usually makes extra food so that we can take some with us when we go...and they'll have leftovers for the week too...
Yesterday, for instance, we went to visit them…when we got there, my pops was working the grill in the garage with some pork souvlaki.

Meanwhile, inside, my mom was making:

a baked pasta dish with penne noodles, ground beef and pork and a cream topping,

asparagus with eggs and cheese (a familiar breakfast on Sundays ~ makes your pee smell),


and puff pastries with cheese inside.

For dessert (no pix available) there was homemade apple pie and “sex in the pan” (a layer of cookies-or crackers-then a layer of vanilla pudding and a layer of chocolate pudding)…She was taking it easy on this particular Sunday because they had raked leaves, moved firewood and transplanted some plants too…So she only made a few things...

*On a similar, but unrelated thread, I was recently making some

I get cravings for it from time to time…and I was using "The Original” recipe. I thought that it would be quicker if I just microwaved it…Unfortunately, in order to do so, the directions indicate that you’d have to go to the website to get microwave instructions…

Doesn’t that sort of defeat the purpose of quick preparation? There are microvavable versions of KD on the market, but I went with Original...My fault, I guess. In a time when we have “instant” roasts, and spaghetti, and pre-cooked bacon, I wonder about where we’re heading… There are slogans like "Cut the Mustard" and products like "Duck Tape", so it's only a matter of time before we become even more lazy and dumb...Beatdogg saw a truck carrying bottled water a few months ago and the logo read "Artic Springs"...

Anyway, it's getting pretty late...there's a lot more stuff that I'd like to write but I'm falling asleep as I type...If this doesn't make much sense, please see the previous post of Chico the chin puppet...

It's actually 1:30 am right now despite the start time indicated on this thing...So tired...I'm sure I'll be firing on all cylinders for work tomorrow...

Good night, citizens.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

6 Comments:

Blogger S* said...

Artic Springs. You gotta love that. I was on the subway the other day and there was an advertisement for a "Learn English Fast" school. The school was a member of the Asociation of International Educators, as well as two other "asociations". Perhaps they should slow down the learning?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Zambo said...

Ferris Bueller said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

Interestingly, Matthew Broderick (who played Bueller) was implicated in a deadly car crash during a vacation in Ireland with former girlfriend Jennifer Grey (who played his sister in the film).

I'm not exactly sure what the lesson is here, but we can definitely learn something...

Your Pal,

Zambo.

12:29 PM  
Blogger BeatDogg said...

For me, it's more of a food=lust type thing. Sometimes I'll see a plate of mashed potatoes sittin' there, lookin' all sexy-like, and I just can't help myself. UNH! UNH! UNH! You like that, potatoes? You like that? That's right, you dirty tubers, you're gonna take it and you're gonna like it. Call me Donny, call me Joey, call me Danny...

Then I have a smoke and drink a beer in the shower.

BeatDogg

3:52 PM  
Blogger Zambo said...

BeatDogg...

Your comment was perhaps even more unsettling than the pix of Chico...I imagined Artie Lange's Mike Tyson impersonation, combined with a dollop of Affleck's character in "Mallrats"...But then I realized it's just a typical Wednesday night at BeatDogg's place...

Keep it up!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

If you ever do anything with a pumpkin, make sure you wear protection, because pumpkin guts is real acidic-like, and it can hurt your sensitive "areas". I have this on good authority.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Zambo said...

Hi Gobbles!

If you mean what I think you mean, there's an interesting bit of information in Chuck Palahniuk's "Choke" (which discusses sex addicts, among other things)about microwaving a watermelon before...you know...No mention of acid burns though.
In Japan, you could try it with one 'a them new-fangled square watermelons...

Glad it's Friday...

Your Pal,

Zambo.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home