Sunday, May 22, 2005

Revenge of the Pithed: A Disturbance in the Force

My pals and I saw the new much-anticipated “Star Wars” prequel on Friday night and we agreed that it was pretty good overall. A lot of loose ends were tied, despite some moments of digital weirdness (namely the clones…who were clearly digitally cloned)…How Vader came to be was cool...kind of gruesome, if we weren’t so desensitized, I imagine…Plenty of new marketing opportunities for The Lucas.

You’d think that I would go on to discuss the film, but sadly my experience was slightly tainted by the fellow two seats to my right. He seemed like he was unable to control his pointless outbursts...Sadly, I think he was just a young man searching for acceptance. I normally don’t get upset if someone is acting involuntarily, but in my non-professional assessment, I don’t think that this guy had any “clinical conditions” - other than maybe being spoiled his whole life. During the “Batman Begins” trailer before the feature, he shouted out, “Morgan Freeman is a sexy man!” Which is sorta funny, and if my friend had said it, I probably would have laughed. But you know that feeling you get, where you hope that he’s not going to do this during the feature? All it takes is one person to laugh and he becomes a case study for the phrase, “Don’t encourage him.” Sometimes people are a bit rammy during the coming attractions, but they surprise you by being quiet during the film. Such was not the case here. He did a lot of talking throughout the film, between rattling his dispensed candy in a plastic cup and chewing it with his mouth open...then trying to work it out of his teeth...I considered helping him out on a few occasions…At one point, Anakin sat up in bed because of a nightmare, and the guy, let’s call him “Dickhole,” says, “Someone’s been working out!” I really wanted to focus on the film, so I decided to try to ignore him...I did glare at him a few times, just shocked by his obliviousness and sheer lack of courtesy to those around him...He kept saying and doing things that were irritating me. For some reason, I like to focus on the film when I go to the movies...When the film let out, I considered telling him how annoying I found him to be...I don’t think he’s aware...As it turns out, he’s just a kid…He looked and sounded like a grown man in the dark theatre (Not the things he was saying, but he seemed tall and had a deep voice…the balls have clearly dropped)...

...In my younger days I probably would have at least told the guy to be quiet or at most, something a bit more compelling...But alas, I am older and I guess wiser now... I’m not really sure what my criteria for confrontation are these days...I just know that when I’m driving or in a movie theatre, I become significantly less tolerant of the ignorance of others. I don’t even know if there’s a point to make here, so take it for what it is...

After “Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith” we watched “Team America: World Police - Uncensored” on DVD which had many brilliant moments. The puppets looked really good. It was technically sound and had great action sequences, catchy songs, an amazing love scene...What more could one ask for? When they said it was “...the best puppet movie since 'Armageddon'...” they weren’t kidding!

That’s all for now.

Your Pal,


Zambo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home